Sunday, January 20, 2013

It started with a bed...

It has been a couple weeks in the making, but the bench is finally finished!!  The weather managed to slow this project down, but together the hubby & I made my vision happen.

I had seen my first upcycled bench a few years ago, but the $200 price tag kept me walking...especially when I felt like I could make one myself. Don't you love that little voice in the back of your head? The one that makes you feel like Super Woman and you can take on anything? Well, easier said than done. It wasn't a difficult project, but one that requires two people and a little trial and error.

This is what we started with:
(this is not my photo, I'm really terrible at before pictures, but this is identical to the set I picked up.)

First, we cut the footboard down the middle and took a few inches off each side, so the seat wouldn't be quite so deep. We then attached those as the sides.

From there it was a little trial and error with the making of the seat, due to the fact that we are not experienced craftsmen craftladies craftspeople? Haha. But believe it or not, there was no arguing. Score.

After a little more building and lots of sanding and painting, we ended up with this:

I LOVE IT perfectly distressed & we made it together. We couldn't be happier with how it turned out!

I know my steps aren't very descriptive (I'm new to this), but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or send me a message. This definitely won't be the last bench we make together...we have already talked over plans for one to go with our dining room table!

*Update: Super excited to announce this project has been featured at Better After!


  1. Very Cute, I love the yellow. Great job.

  2. This is super cute! I love the color. I will be looking for a twin set now... :)

  3. this is so darling and a great way to reuse the bedpost. I Jumped over from Better After blog and have enjoyed your site. Have a great week.